.Q: What is mould? A: Mould is a natural forming phenomenon belonging to the fungi kingdom. It is natures way of breaking down waste products such as leaves, wood and other cellulosic materials outside. The problems arise if the spores (the fruiting bodies) come into the home environment.
Q: What causes mould? A: Mould is caused by a damp environment inside the home. This could be caused by water leaks in areas which can be dark with little air movement, Mould loves to grow in Damp/Humid conditions.
Q: How do I know if I have a mould problem? A: You can often detect mould problems if the property has a damp, musty, mouldy smell. Sometimes there is visible sign of mould activity by seeing different colour growths on walls, ceilings and carpets.
Q: Is mould dangerous to my family’s health? A: There are thousands of types of mould. Approximately 200 types are considered to be toxic. The best known Toxic Mould is often called Back Mould or Stachybotrys . However, all types of mould in sufficient numbers are detrimental for your health. We have had many people contact us over the years who have had health Issues that have been attributed to Mould.
Q: What are the effects of mould? A: Mould breaks down the human immunity system and may cause Flu like symptoms, respiratory problems and random rashes over the body. There are Facebook pages set up to assist people dealing with Toxic Mould. It is unhealthy to live in a property that has any type of mould contamination.
Q: What does mould require to grow? A: The 3 elements required for mould growth
Moisture: from either high humidity or a leak or constant moisture
Food : Mould thrives on any cellulose like timber, the paper on gib, the backing of carpet
Air/Oxygen that is found in the atmosphere of a home
Q: How long does it take for mould to become a problem? A: It only takes a very short time for mould colonies to grow. This can be as little as 48 to 72 hours from the beginning of a leak. Q: Is Mould Testing Expensive? A: It really depends on the type of testing that is undertaken. We use a NZ Lab that gives us the best information for NZ conditions. Whilst this is a bit more expensive, we believe, it gives a better understanding of what is going on in your property!